January.8.2013: Counterfeit Naked 2 Palette vs. Real

Real Palette is the first one
counterfeit is the second
I did the mistake of of ordering my Naked 2 palette over ebay.com because it was cheaper. I was so excited when I got my package in my mail but when I unwrapped it and tested it out I knew immediately that it was a fake because the eyeshadows were very very chalky. So I sent it back and did the mistake of ordering another Naked 2 palette over eBay. This time the seller even claimed that "Authenticity is Guaranteed". Once again the palette I got was fake. Needless to say I learned my lesson. After that I just ordered my palette over Urban Decay.com to ensure I would get a real one. So I thought I would share with you the differences between the counterfeit palette and the real one so that nobody else makes the same mistake. 
Cover:
Fake: "Naked 2 Urban Decay" is written in black
Real: Written in a brownish grey color


Backside:
The fake has a yellow hue to it. This is especially apparent in the lighter colors. Everything else is exactly the same, except the color of the writing which on the real palette is a dark brown while on the fake the writing is a yellow taupe color.






Inside:
In the fake palette there are three divots on the hinge of the palette. If the palette were real there would only be two (no middle divot).






Real on top/Fake on bottom
Eyeshadow Pots
Fake: 
Paint pots not filled up all the way
Filled unevenly
Eyeshadow names are written bigger
Chopper is a dark brown color instead of a copper color
Names extend past the end of the paint pot (indicated by the red line)

Real: 
Paint pots are completely full
Eyeshadow names are written smaller
Names stop parallel to the end of the separate paint pots. (Indicated by the red line)
Half Baked, Booty Call, YDK look shinier and pigmented 



Real (on top) glue is unseen and it looks neat
Fake (bottom)glue is very apparent metal is bent
overall messy look
Real (top) blender brush is to the left of
the writing. bristles are also longer
Fake (bottom) blending brush to
 the right of the words and the bristles
are shorter and messier



Fake (right) is bigger and more orange looking
Real (left) pink and smaller
















19 comments:

  1. Great Blog thanks for the Info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Well, this is what blogging is all about...your mistake (which I wouldn't necessarily call it that, it's more of a learning experience) will help someone else! Great post! I actually just recently bought the first one at Sephora...although I'm a million years late on this, lol. I have an app called Retail Me Not, which is free and you can save quite a bit on your purchases from Sephora and thousands of other retailers...one blogger to another :)

    XO,

    Jalisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely late on purchasing most of my makeup because I'm terribly indecisive and like to research everything I buy :) I've definitely used Retail Me Not when doing online purchases but I didn't know they had an app! I just downloaded it thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. How are the products because for someone with not as much money this is great x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean the quality is definitely lacking. I noticed right away that it was fake because it was hard for my makeup brushes to pick up any of the shadow the colors do swatch pretty well but im not sure how long they'll last. You should be aware that most counterfeit products contain harmful/cheap ingredients in place of the ones that should be used. heres one article about how levels of arsenic are often present.
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2210884/The-toxic-trade-fake-make-How-counterfeit-cosmetics-containing-dangerous-levels-arsenic-sold-online-unsuspecting-bargain-hunters.html

      Delete
  4. OMG ! I freaked out when I read that ! i ran to bring my palette to compare it ..thank god I have the real one !
    thanks for that blog ..
    I follow you now ..would you please check my blog and follow me back ??
    http://makeupbymimiii.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank god you had the right one! and yes I started following you :)

      Delete
  5. I didn't even know there was a such thing as fake naked palettes. Very interesting! I had a similar experience with Ugg boots that I ordered online a few years ago, so I also learned the hard way that super low prices can be too good to be true!

    xoxo
    collegebeauty101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I got so excited about the cheap prices didn't even think about it being counterfeit. I'll never make that mistake again! thanks for checking out the blog

      Delete
  6. I be darn !!! I just made a purchase in ebay for this palette and I have do have the fake one =(

    just to let everyone know that in ebay they also make fake too faced palettes too =(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn! I think I got a fake one too :( I went to ulta to swatch some colors and my halfbaked is more gold and busted is more of a lavander hue. They got better with the packaging too... everything was perfect except no lot #, sticker started sticking up and the lettering on case is more black. I wouldnt have known untill i posted a look on instagram and someone mentioned buying a pallet on ebay amd it was fake. So I did massive research. Good thing u posted this.... Boooooo I hope I get my money back!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. شكراً لك .. لقد استفدت منك كثيراً��

    ReplyDelete
  9. YIKES! I have been wanting Naked 2 for so long. I finally decided today to get it and found it on eBay for 36.95 + 5.00 shipping. I thought that was a great deal so I bought it. Then after (duh!) I bought it I just did a random search to make sure there are no fakes and found your blog. The one I bought has the black writing on the front. I immediately contacted the (US) seller and asked her to refund my money and cancel my order ASAP because I knew it was a fake. She said she would do that as a courtesy but denied it is fake. People make me sick! Thanks for posting this and saving me the frustration! Hope this crook really does refund my money. Currently she has over 100 positive feedback and no negative so she may do it to try and save that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought mine from ebay for $35 and it took almost a mth to get to me which was a red flag, but I waited anyways. Finally got my palette and noticed right away when I tried it that it was not as pigmented and very chalky. I've used the first naked palette so I was familiar with the product. I noticed the backspine was lifted and upon further research its a fake. Needless to say, I reported her to ebay and contacted the seller for a refund. Keep in mind I had the palette for almost 30days used it once and what to do you know the $ is pending in my paypal acct for my refund by the seller. She claims to be a mua, and I feel for her clients. Will be using the refund plus $20 to go to sephora and pay for the real one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this- I just bought a fake at the swap meet, thinking I was getting a crazy deal for $25. No wonder! Still, the colors are pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My palette has signs of both, real and fake..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too. Did you get it from sephora? Im so confused now

      Delete
  13. I bought mine from sephora last year and i just compared it to some of the things you posted and i think it might be fake which is disappointing because i thought i was safe going to sephora. i was looking on ebay trying to save some money but didnt get a good feeling so didnt buy. Guess i will have to look carefully elsewhere

    ReplyDelete