January.1.2013: New Years Recovery Tips

Hangover Recovery
FIrst of all, I hope everyone had a great New Years!! After all the New Years drinking which I'm sure we all did ;) I thought I would take the time to list a couple tricks that have always helped me prevent a hangover or get over one. 
#1. Drink Plenty of Water
I know a lot of people push electrolyte drinks but water will work 100% the same way. Water is the most important because alcohol dehydrating your body is what causes most of the "hangover" symptoms.
Drinking Coconut Juice or Gatorade are also great substitutions for water if you have them handy.
* Downing a glass or two of water before falling asleep/passing-out after drinking will work wonders for your headache the next day!
#2. B12
Alcohol is a diuretic. Meaning that it causes you to lose a lot of vitamins and nutrients while drinking. The Most important ones being vitamins B and C. B12 is especially important because it helps your body process the alcohol. 
***This is the hangover cure I swear by! I cannot stress enough about how taking a small B12 pill before I start drinking makes such a difference in how hungover I get the next day not to mention how fast the alcohol "effects me".
#3. Fruit Juices
Fruit Juices contain a lot of anti-oxidants. Because, drinking causes oxidative stress on your body consuming anti-oxidants helps replenish your anti-oxidant levels. These anti-oxidants will help your body repair any type of damage.
#4. Eating Food
The Next day its always important to try and force yourself to eat a little food no matter how sick you feel. The more carbs the better!
#5. Take a Shower
Because, your body treats alcohol as a toxin it is continuously attempting to break the alcohol down into acetic acid. When this happens your body only manages to metabolize a portion of the alcohol. The rest of the alcohol escapes with urine or is excreted by sweat and the respiratory system. This means that some alcohol ends up sitting on top of your skin waiting to be reabsorbed. Taking a shower will improve the way you feel most of the time.
***I speak from personal experience when I say that taking a shower after a night of heavy drinking really makes you feel so so so much better! 
I hope this summary helps! And I hope you all feel better soon! I know I'll be feeling the pain tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment