December.24.2012: YAZ/Loryna Birth Control Part 1

I've always had trouble with my skin in that I have moderate acne most of the time and some severe acne around "that time of the month". So when I was 16 I talked to my mom and made the decision to go on birth control. My Doctor started me off on YAZ.

YAZ: (3mg Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol) 

The most effective birth control pills for treating acne are made up of a combination of estrogen and progesterine.Yaz uses estrogen as well as Drospirenone (a man made form of progesterone). From there I was switched onto the generic cheaper version (Loryna) once the patent on Yaz had ended. Although Yaz is all over the news with people having adverse affects I didn't experience any bad side effects. My acne did clear up considerably. After being on it for so long I assumed my acne had lessoned with my age so I decided to stop the pill in the beginning of July 2012. 

To my surprise my acne came back pretty badly. I would get big cyst acne on the face and I would even break out on my back and chest which I never had before. I switched my cleansing routine and tried various products to lesson my acne but none of it had the results I had hoped for. My boobs, which had gotten bigger from the birth control, became smaller again as well. To be more helpful I would say I went from a full B-cup while on the birth control to a small B. 

So, tomorrow I'm starting birth control again I had given it a lot of thought but my skin has been the source of my daily stress and I am just so fed up with constantly feeling self conscious and well lets be honestly less attractive. I'll keep you posted on my experience!
 *** I always use to get my period on the third white pill day
 so I am starting the pack on a tuesday so that I wont get my period until Sunday

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kat,

    My situation sounds EXACTLY like yours in every way! I went back on the Loryna this past December as well. Has your skin cleared up yet?? I have noticed some improvement, but am still dealing with breakouts unfortunately. I've read that it can take anywhere from 3-9 months for the the bc pill generally to clear skin completely, but I haven't heard anything specifically about the Loryna brand. Have you had any luck?

    Thanks!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete